Good news, kiddies! As of today, the 2013 CJ Henderson Memorial Award prize packages are shipped and on their way!
And what, precisely, is in each package? I’m glad you asked, because I think I’ve gathered quite an assortment of goodies. Winners, feel free to look away if you’d rather be surprised, but everyone else, I welcome you to have a butcher’s at what each winner will soon receive, displayed here on my very own cluttered dinner table.
- One copy of MicroHorror contributor Calum Kerr‘s “flash-fiction novella” Apocalypse, generously donated by the author. I’ve read it; it’s really good. Thanks, Calum!
- One set of Fridge of the Damned magnetic word tiles.
- One souvenir shot glass from the famous Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado, with a replica Room 217 number plate. Stephen King stayed in 217 when he was inspired to write The Shining, and the Stanley became the model for the Overlook. This glass is the perfect vessel for your nightly tot of REDRUM. (Or, you know, Pepsi. I can’t tell you what to do.)
- One Stanley Hotel bookmark, cheap and self-explanatory.
- And last but certainly not least, the trophy itself! Let’s take a closer look, shall we?
These fine trophies are made in the USA, and feature a customized insert designed by me and manufactured to my specifications, as well as an engraved nameplate bearing the title of each winning story and the name of its author. (Winners, I had to ship the trophies unassembled, but don’t worry; they’re real easy to put together. I’ve even included the vital hexnuts. (Have you heard my new band, The Vital Hexnuts?))
The winners of the 2014 contest will also receive trophies, Fridge of the Damned Kits, Stanley Hotel shot glasses and bookmarks, and more! So now that you know what you’re competing for, may this spur you to new heights of creativity. Keep those entries coming! You have until 11:59pm on October 31 to submit your story, and I promise I won’t take nearly as long this time around.